What our new engineering curriculum will offer.

Oxford Brookes University alongside industry professionals has been responsible for designing a curriculum equipping all our students for entry into university, apprenticeships or direct employment.

As well as engineering, all students study the core curriculum subjects of mathematics, English, sciences, computer science, PE, and personal and social education (including RE), and within these areas we aim to focus, where relevant, on the practical aspects of technical engineering and enterprise.

A key measure in the delivery of the education plan for students is the option to fully achieve the new ‘English Baccalaureate’. This recognises students have secured a C grade or better across a core of academic subjects – English, mathematics, history or geography, the sciences and a language. The underlying philosophy of teaching these core subjects is to find opportunities to include ‘engineering’ and ‘enterprise’ into maths, English, science and humanities.

The new educational environment has been designed to enhance the curriculum through the use of multi-functional spaces. The campus includes dedicated workshops and multi-use electronics and product design suites as well as an IT / CAD suite. Students can also expect broadband wireless access across the whole UTC campus.

Click here to download the curriculum framework

comp1

 

  • For 14–16 year old students, technical studies will account for 40% of the curriculum with the other 60% spent on core subjects. Students will study for national qualifications in engineering. In addition, all students will study a range of GCSEs including mathematics, English, two sciences, a foreign language and a humanities subject.
  • Those who wish to gain the English Baccalaureate (5 good GCSE passes in core subjects) will be able to do so, although this will not be compulsory.
  • Students will also have time dedicated to physical education, citizenship, careers education and guidance, religious education, and personal, health and social education.
  • For post-16 students technical studies will account for 60% of the curriculum and core studies 40%.
  • Level 3 students will study for advanced qualifications in engineering. They will also have the opportunity to take one or two A-level subjects.
  • Courses in mathematics will be required to support engineering studies.
  • All post-16 students will have time dedicated to physical education, citizenship, careers education and guidance, and personal, health and social education.
  • For all students much of the learning will be developed through employer-led cross-curricular projects enhanced by a range of activities which will make every project relevant to every learner. These will include experiences in the workplace and with the university.

 

UTC Swindon Curriculum

 

KS4 Curriculum

In Years 10 and 11, students follow a core curriculum of GCSE and BTEC courses, along with skills development in our specialisms that enable all to progress to the next stage of their education and training.

 

The core curriculum consists of two BTEC Engineering qualifications, supported by a range of GCSEs that enhance employability skills, including literacy/numeracy and complementary subjects. Students can also access the English Baccalaureate by opting to study Geography and either German of Spanish.

KS4

KS4 1

Students also participate in Sports and Recreation sessions each week, which offer a range of sporting and physical activities at the Oasis Leisure Centre and at college.

 

Our Enrichment entitlement allows students the opportunity to pursue interests both in and out of timetabled lessons. Activities include Duke of Edinburgh, Young Enterprise, photography, as well as various engineering projects.

 

 

KS5 Curriculum

The Sixth Form curriculum offers a range of academic and skills-related qualifications and courses at both Level 3 and Level 2 Level 3 equivalent to A levels and recognised by Universities). Students will be supported in making the most appropriate course selection based on GCSE performance and future aspirations.

 

To follow Level 3 courses, students will have achieved a minimum of 5 GCSEs or equivalent at grades A*-C including English Language and Mathematics. A Level subjects generally require achieving a minimum of grade B at GCSE.

 

KS5

 Screen Shot 2015-10-07 at 20.30.41

 

Level 2 students will be required to undertake GCSE English and/or Mathematics, or alternative literacy/numeracy studies should they not gain a C by the end of Key Stage 4 in line with statutory expectations.

 

Students will also have supervised, as well as Independent, Study sessions as part of their timetable, to support work in lessons and completion of assignments.